IMDb's 2020s Top 50

So… when are we gonna get the IMDb’s 2020s Top 50 list? Kinda look forward to it haha
Cheers!

1 Like

The real issue is what Avatar is gonna be selected.

I still say we should now, that the decade is over, get to vote and pick the avatar for the 2010s.

Otherwise the 2020s avatar is just gonna be the biggest movie of 2020 and not the most cultural significant of the 2020s.

I think it’s too early to add it. Maybe at the end of this year? Maybe sometime in 2021?

1 Like

Sounds coool

I’d like to see this early, like by mid-2020. I love to watch how new movies jump up in the list and others sink down.

1 Like

There won’t be enough movies that qualify before the end of the year, unfortunately. Even if we lowered the check threshold. And now with Covid-19 who knows, but when there are enough movies to make a list we will.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity: Why wouldn’t be there enough movies that qualify if the check threshold is lowered? I just had a look a the top 50 movies of the 1910s and saw that the bottom film in terms of checks (Zhizn za zhizn, 1916) has a total of 101 checks. So it COULD be done, I guess.

What is the current check threshold?

(Of course I see your point that the check count would be VERY low.)

1 Like

The current threshold for the most popular list subjects (recent years, big genres) is 1500 checks, for the others it’s 400 checks (except 1910s and mini-series).

If you lower it low enough sure, but it would have to be really low. I don’t recall the exact number, but in October last year I checked and the 50th most checked movie of 2019 had well below 1000 checks. With awards season pushing the most likely to be high rated movies to the last 3 months of the year, and those movies often not being widely available until some months later, it takes a while for movies that aren’t the biggest blockbusters to reach the threshold.

Hell, even ignoring the ICM check threshold, even if it was just the highest rated movies on imdb with 5000 imdb votes, the 2019 list right now (3 months after the end of the year) has the 50th movie at 7.5 and many of those are films released in Nov/Dec, so the equivalent list done in Oct would be much worse. I’d be ok with a list where the 50th movie has a 7. something, one where it goes into the 6.- is too soon.

2 Likes