IMDb's 2020s Top 50

Thanks for the hint, will do that.

No problem. Bo Burnham: Inside & Friends; The Reunion also wouldn’t be included, since they are classified as TV Specials on imdb.

I see, thanks. A pity, in the case of Bo Burnham.

It’s indeed tough to get to 50 like this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is another list which only includes movies with a rating of at least 7.0 and at least 400 checks. Currently 33 movies meet both criteria.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/imdbs+2020s+top+50+imdb+7plus+400+checks/thyron/

Yeah, it’s going to take a while I think. With theatres opening up in a lot of places around the world, perhaps we’ll have enough entries to justify creating the list by the end of the year or end of the Oscar season. I imagine worst-case scenario we’ll have to wait until next summer to have enough entries to create the list.

Until then we just have to be patient (or collectively focus on watching the same 2020s films to get them all over the check threshold :smiley: ).

Or we lower the threshold, acknowledging that due to the pandemic less people could go to the cinemas. There are lots of films with more than 5000 votes on IMDb and a rating of 7 or higher. I found 53 with 7.1 or higher: IMDb’s 2020s Top 50 (5000+ votes on IMDb) - iCheckMovies.com

The first version of the official 2010s list (IMDb's 2010s Top 50 - iCheckMovies.com) is from November 2010 and contains gems like “Piranha 3D” (rating of 5.5) and two films with a rating of 6.1.

Why not start with a similar list soon and see it improve over time?

With the threshold at 400 checks, all movies are over 6.7. (see IMDb’s 2020 Top 50, 400+ checks - iCheckMovies.com) With the threshold at 1500, movies like Wonder Woman 1984 (5.4) will be in.

That’s their ratings now - at the time their ratings were likely higher. Piranha 3D, for example, was rated 6.4 in November 2010, which, granted, is still rather low for a Top 50.

That’s my point. The first version of the list will not necessarily contain only “great” films and instant classics. But by now we have easily 50 solid good films to make an official list that is also better than the initial 2010s list. For instance with a threshold of 400 checks.

I’ve just updated the imdb lists. If we did 400 checks the lowest would be 6.6. There are 3 films over 6.7 that should make it soon (within 50 checks), but only two others within 100 checks.
The 1500 check list is at 24 films.

I think it’s still a bit too soon, but I do think it’s worth opening the discussion among the mods. Part of the problem with going with 400 checks to start is that at some point we’ll want to switch to 1500 and choosing that point once there’s a list will be disruptive, but maybe that’s better than not having a list at all.

Keep in mind that even fast tracked this wouldn’t be official until at least October.

Short update: If 400 checks was the lower limit, all films would be 6.7 and better now.

With my mixed approach (“All films with more than 1500 checks and the best of the rest"), all films would also be over 400 checks, and the least checked films would be at 6.8. This is because there are some lower rated films in the 1500 checks group.

Here’s the best of the rest (400–1500 checks): 2020s Top 25 400–1500 checks - iCheckMovies.com

There are now 49 movies with 400 checks and an imdb score of 7.0 or more; before the end of the year there will be 50 (“King Richard” and “Quo Vadia, Aida?” are close). IMDb’s 2020 Top 50, 400+ checks - iCheckMovies.com

38 movies have more than 1500 checks.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/imdbs+2020s+top+50/dirty_score/

2 years after the beginning of the decade we should slowly have a decade list, don’t you think?

1 Like

This is something we’ll discuss in the new year, yes.

1 Like

Here’s the very first version: IMDb's 2020s Top 50 - iCheckMovies.com

1 Like