List Suggestions

Because Indians aren’t people?

No. It is because of national bias. I would not want any list that is based around votes from random people in one nation. Atleast with the general top 250 list we have voting representation from most parts of the world.

National bias ? What about the five billion lists on this site that are done by exclusively American and/or British critics ?

I get that people don’t like the Bollywood films on those lists, but the rationalizations you have to do in order to justify excluding them are hilarious/deplorable. Just admit you don’t like them and move on.

Not that I think that imdb list should be included, but more country lists are good : icm is dominated by anglo-saxon perspectives enough as it is.

Wow that’s a bit harsh, especially for someone who just agreed with me.
IMDB lists are the worst, critics are always better. I wouldn’t be opposed to a new Indian list from a reputable source, but I think we should give Africa another look first.

This strikes me as a conversation that might be more productive if conducted at www.icmforum.com.

This thread is mainly intended for suggestions, and while it’s inevitable that people will make comments about those suggestions (positive and negative) I think there’s a limit to how far we should let the conversation stray from the intended topic.

Thank you.

I wholeheartedly disagree, the website needs significantly less country based lists. What ICM needs are lists based purely on quality in one way or another (writing, acting etc), not lists based on what ethnicity the cast has

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/metacritics+best+movies+of+all+time/baalman/ seems like it could be a worthy addition

Not bad. Maybe we could use this list to replace the Rotten Tomatoes one.

Why 500? It also has a huge recency bias, 449/500 films are post 1990.
A top 100 as a complement to the Rotten Tomatoes list might be ok though.

1 Like

I didn’t know the cutoff was arbitrary but we could always turn it into a top 100 if we adopt it.

Seems like a worthy addition as an official list.

1 Like

A third suggestion for the BBC 21st Century’s Greatest Films list. It’s a critics list, it’s covering a period that is typically only measured in box office and it’s been the subject of a great deal of discussion over the last few months.

Well there is this: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/the+21st+centurys+most+acclaimed+films/ and this A.V. Club's The Best Movies of the 2000s - iCheckMovies.com and the yearly updates to Cahiers du Cinéma's Annual Top 10 Lists - iCheckMovies.com

I’ll admit my initial reaction when that list came out was that it’s cool they did a poll but it’s not bringing much to the table. But on further reflection I think its more reasonable length vs the TSPDT 21st century list and its notability as a list on its own make it worth adopting. So yeah, I’m for it.

Given that the TSPDT 21st Century list somehow managed to “disqualify” itself (going from 250 to 1,000 was a bad idea as the last entries show), I’m not opposed to the BBC list.

Why is the TSPDT 21st century bad for having 1000 entries? Personally I think it’s been a good thing.

It’s overstretched, imo. Though thousands of movies are made every year, not all of them are good and I think that’s pretty clearly reflected in the bottom part of the list. The top part is fine, but the century just isn’t old enough to have produced 1,000 great movies.

I disagree strongly. The very bottom of this list sports such classics as He Fengming, millennium actress, united red army, aleksandra, Durian durian, kekexili, etc. Look I could keep going, but I won’t. This list is clearly one of the most essential lists on icm. It is one of the few lists that has a significant update each year (which is part of why it’s so essential), and it has many classics I wouldn’t have discovered otherwise.

I’m glad you’re finding gems on the list (I’m quite fond of Millennium Actress myself), but in between the gems there are also some movies that, in my opinion, really shouldn’t be on a list of “Best Of” of any kind (Ichi the Killer, The Polar Express and - though I haven’t seen them - pretty widely panned movies like Rang de Basanti and 3 Idiots).

Whether the gems outweigh the stinkers is up to each person to decide, but for my money, expanding the list was a mistake by Bill Georgaris. Ultimately, though, this is not about the 21 Century list’s merits or demerits but about which new lists to include.

I’m just saying it would be a major mistake to contract the list.

That won’t happen, not unless Bill Georgaris (who is the source for the list) decides to do so. We follow the source, even if I happen to disagree with it.