Why dont extend the list from imdb to 100

there is to many unknown films that shuld have more attention, and be in more oficial lists.

I guess you mean all the genre and decade lists? In the past those lists were actual lists on IMDb and they were top 50’s. When IMDb decided to ditch those lists, iCM decided to continue those lists with a self-made formula. The listlength stayed the same. I don’t remember if it ever was a discussion to expand them.

yes, but why dont expand them?, and why dont change the names?

In some cases it might be fine to have a top 100, but in other cases absolutely not. The “music” list for example currently has only 169 eligible titles. A top 100 would include movies with a rating of 6.8. The 1910s list hasn’t even got 100 eligible titles. These are the extremes, but it certainly shows that we should select some and others not if we’d expand to 100.

The names are just a matter of legacy. The site started with IMDb-lists. At that moment it wouldn’t have made sense to name them “IMDb’s Top 50 insert genre movies”. Nowadays it might make sense, but it would mean a lot of work, broken links etc… I don’t think it’s necessary. They are nicely grouped at the IMDb-tab, so it’s clear enough I think.

1 Like

Some of them would probably be ok with being expanded, quality wise, others would suffer greatly because there aren’t many highly rated eligible movies in the genre or decade. I don’t think expanding the lists that can be expanded would really bring to light all that many unknown films, the criteria of checks and imdb votes means all these films are already somewhat well known.

That said I have, privately, thought about suggesting expanding some of the lists but always concluded it wasn’t worthwhile. If it’s something people are interested in it could be considered.

I’d be interested to know what currently unofficial films would become official if this was done. I would be in support of this, but only if the calculation of the lists were moved to be made entirely from iCM favourites and dislikes. There’s too many irregular voting patterns and stuffed ballots on IMDb.

I did this myself for a few of the genre tags. Interesting results and a few omissions, but apart from the Westerns it’s all films from the 21st century that have not yet had time to make any lists but are too overrated by IMDb to make the TSPDT 21st century list. Here are the films which would become official if the lists were extended to 100:

1950s

None

2010s

1. My Name Is Khan (2010)
  2. Captain Fantastic (2016)
  3. About Time (I) (2013)
  4. Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)

ACTION

1. Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)
  2. The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)

ANIMATION

1. Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)
  2. The Little Prince (2015)

CRIME

None

HISTORY

1. Changeling (2008)
  2. The Last King of Scotland (2006)
  3. The Impossible (2012)
  4. Enemy at the Gates (2001)

MYSTERY

1. Deception (2013)
  2. Lucky Number Slevin (2006)
  3. Changeling (2008)
  4. Death Note (2006)
  5. The Past (2013)

SCI-FI

1. About Time (I) (2013)
  2. The Butterfly Effect (2004)

WESTERNS

1. The Westerner (1940)
  2. The Cowboys (1972)
  3. Shenandoah (1965)
  4. Hombre (1967)
  5. The Tin Star (1957)
  6. Yahsi Bati - The Ottoman Cowboys (2009)
  7. McLintock! (1963)