iCheckMovies vNext feedback

Good point, ndg.

@Marijn:
It seems that some movies don’t have a page on the beta. Look at this list and click on the film on #9:
https://beta.icheckmovies.com/lists/15563-edinburgh+international+film+festival+2014
This leads to an error-page, although the movie does exist on the live version:

This is just an example. More movies like this have been found before. If you know what’s wrong, I can collect the others.

Yes I do and I just fixed it :slight_smile:

Seems like the fix fixed the others as well, so thanks!

I cheered to soon. You didn’t a general problem but just for one or two. Here is another one without a betapage:

I did fix a general problem, but there was another general problem :wink:

Anyway, it’s fixed again

I am sure someone mentioned it somewhere, but here’s my problem:

in the “beta” view I cannot find the link to the source of a list. I mean the “source” link that in the classic view is at the very bottom of a list.

If it’s there and I just didn’t find it, I guess it needs more prominence.

I think Marijn hasn’t added it to the list page yet.

For official lists we added a source-link to the description, so you can find it at the top of the page.

Exactly, will be added soon

The Beta is getting better all the time, thanks for that.

A problem that persists is the missing icons for some lists. In the mobile version this sometimes leads to the text of tags being visible in weird manners, making the list page very difficult use because some places are not readable or clickable.

A simple solution would be to use some generic placeholder icon instead of no icon at all.

2 Likes

On user pages for vNext, it would be nice if the total official checks was displayed like total checks currently is. The only way to know ones total official checks is by finding the user on the rankings, but this isn’t an option for users who choose not to make their checks public.

For those users, one needs to page through all movies checked sorted by # of official lists on v2 site, find the page with the last official check, take that page number then subtract 1, multiply the result by 25, then count the number of official checks on that (last) page (of official checks) and add the result. Quite a bit of work.

So for me ((372 - 1) * 25) + 9 = 9284 official checks

Or am I missing something simpler somewhere?

Likewise, displaying the total official checks for the site somewhere would be useful, or if a user page said

Total Official Checks: 9284/16315

I used a similar method to that in my prior post to calculate total official checks on the site. Also, displaying these numbers on the site would be helpful since the total number for both a user’s checks and total official checks on the site changes day by day (and it’s annoying for users to have to calculate either number).

Don’t know if anyone asked before but a Dark mode perhaps?

One issue that affects the functionality of the beta: On my phone, I can’t actually check a movie from the movie’s info page. The “check” symbol is visible, but it’s not clickable. Maybe it’s because the symbol bar is partly covered by the “Info” bar.

My workaround is to switch to the “In lists” or the “Comments” tab of the movie, then I can actually check it.

Here is a screenshot to illustrate what I mean with “partly covered”.

Thanks for reporting this @thyron

@Marijn I can confirm this. Just tested it out, and when I try to check a film in beta on mobile (it works fine on web), the INFO bar is indeed covering part of the Check symbol, so trying to check the film just clicks on the link to the INFO page (which essentially refreshes the page). Seems like it’s something that can be fixed in the coding for mobile.

I just tried it on a different page, however, and it seems to work (though it makes me log in again even though I’m already logged in). I think it has to do with how long the title is.

For example, it works for Acasa, My Home (2020) - iCheckMovies.com
but doesn’t work for Azghyin ushtykzyn'azaby (1993) - iCheckMovies.com or Gloomy Sunday - Ein Lied von Liebe und Tod (1999) - iCheckMovies.com. For the last one, the ellipsis, five bars, watchlist, and check buttons are all completely hidden by the info section, so it’s not just the check function that is unusable, but all the action buttons.

Let me know if that explains the issue enough, or if you need me to elaborate.

Yes, I am aware of this issue. Thanks for reporting :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the “Year” pull-down menu to filter lists of movies, the current decade (2020s) is missing. We only have the choice between the decades up to the 2010s and “upcoming”.

The functionality is there, because if I write manually “year:2020s” into the filter bar, it works. It’s just missing from the pull-down menu.

The example picture is from the IMDb Top 250 list.

1 Like

Please just abandon this “update”. It’s been underway for around half the time this site has even existed and there’s no end in sight. Just work on the old site, the design is fine anyway.

1 Like

Not sure if this website is still being updated, but I have a suggestion. I might be blind so I don’t know if this is already a feature, but adding a “total hours watched” function would be really cool. It’d be sick to know how many hours I’ve compiled watching all these movies. The runtime for each movie is already in the summary for each movie, so I wouldn’t think this would be a super hard thing to integrate. But I’m no website designer.

1 Like

Big fan of the site, but is the new site ever going to be released? Is there a date yet?

1 Like